Monday 27 May 2013

26th & 27th May 2013, Walrow + Woodlands

This weekend's schedule saw me without a match, so I was undecided as to what to do.
Saturday was a work day so that was taken, infact I cleared a lot of the garden, with help from my kids, a couple trips to the dump made the garden seem a bit bigger and tidier.

Sunday 26th.
Sunday was predicted to be a rather summery affair and looked good for some fishing, although I did think to myself the fishies will be spawning. So the decision to do a car-boot sale took priority.

The amount of  'stuff ' we had accrued since our last one 5 yrs ago or more, stored in boxes and taking up most of the landing at home, was getting silly. Infact, we only took just over half the boxes. So with 2 kids (9 and 11yrs) put in the car amongst the cardboard and pasting tables we set off to earn some pennies. Well the sale wasn't too bad with over £200 made, more for the holiday funds. I did sell a handful of fishing kit(and should have sold more, I have been told several times since!!) and some of my beloved cd's.

None the less, we got home at half 2, unloaded the car and had a cuppa and chilled for 90 mins. I then decided I was going to get the rods out for a few hours as the weather was dry and we were at the loose end.
I had planned on popping over to Trinity and specifically Woodlands lake, as my pellet waggler fishing needs some work, and despite me not liking the tactic, I know what I need to practice(despite my reluctance). So me, wifey and 2 kids loaded my kit into the car (bait bag, nets and pellet wag) and made the 5 minute drive to the lakes, on which there was a match, so we turned around without stopping.
I was just going to drive home and chill as I didn't fancy Sedges as I fish the evening matches, and I am not keen on fishing the same lakes several times a week if I can help it. But the kids wanted me to catch some fish, so I settled on popping down to Walrow lakes in Highbridge.
A quick pit-stop at home to swap my pellet wag rod for my competition feeder rod, and grab some worms, caster and frozen groundbait (defrosted in microwave for 1 min) for now I had bream in mind.

Fifteen minutes later and we were in my choice of swim on Walrow snags lake. My daughter riddled and re-mixed my groundbait while I got my box and rod sorted, my son sorted my landing net, feeder arm and keepnet.
I was fishing by 5:15. There were plenty of bream on the surface, some taking off the surface, so I guess they had other things on their minds, and it showed as I only had a single bite in the first 90 mins, I was fishing a standard open end feeder at 27 or so turns, caster or worm on the hook.
I was only fishing a 14" hooklength (0.12 > 16 B611), so retied the same on a 3ft tail.

The change bought immediate response with a nice 3lber making it's way to the net, then a few minutes later a 5lb+ fish arrived, then it went quiet for a bit before a flurry of activity saw me land another 6 fish (5 to me, 1 to my lad) before I packed up. I did lose a couple, the fish were either ultra lightly hooked or they had swallowed it down properly, nothing in between.
Also there were lots of roach and rudd around, if I had set up the pole I could have had a nice bag of these I think, but I wanted to avoid fishing the pole.

All in all, a nice catch of bream was had. There are loads in there and people should get down and enjoy the sport, there are a few tench and even a rogue carp to be caught.

Some Bream



Monday 27th
Today was to be a few hours (before any predicted rain came) over Woodlands fishing the pellet wag mainly, as planned yesterday.
The boy also wanted to fish and wifey and daughter wanted to get some air. So the car/roofbox was loaded with 2 seatboxes, net bag, bait bags, 4 pole rollers, 2 pole holdalls car-porter and a pellet wag rod. 2 carp chairs for the females to sit on were squeezed into the car.

We arrived at around 9:20 and settled into pegs 22 and 23, with me in 23. The wind was sort of from behind me, allowing for half decent presentation on the p/w. There were a few fish on the surface, but there were also spawning carp along the end and far banks, nothing too much, but I knew it'd be patchy.
I helped sort my son out, he'd be fishing meat at 6m to each margin and banded pellet on the deck at the same distance. So once he was done and ready, I set up my rod, a 6ssg maver float with a Steve Mayo adaptor (all overkill), to be fishing just shy of halfway across. A size 14 B911 on 0.18 was the terminal end, 8mm or 6mm pellet in the band.
After an hour my boy had a few silvers including a decent skimmer in his nets, I had missed a couple bites on the wag, but soon landed my 1st carp. The wind was awkward though and had turned slightly right to left. I had also changed to a smaller loader float and come shallower. However small roach and rudd were a pain with 6mm hookbaits so stuck with 8mm in the band. The silvers were popped back as I didn't want to get another net wet.....

A random occurance happened too. Three (yes 3) environment agency baliffs turned up to check my licence. That's only 4 times in nearly 20 years and 3 of these were on a May bank holiday!!!

Anyways, my son had landed a small-ish carp on the banded pellet and he went for a rest, as he does every hour or so, letting my daughter fish.
Me, well I had a couple more carp, but it was slow going, with the wind being a pain, I had bumped a few but I was also reluctant to get the pole out, but by 1pm it was set up, 2 rigs made.  A shallow one for 8m out, where I had been chucking 6mm baits on and off, and seen the odd swirl, and a margin/meat rig (which remained unused) for my left hand margin. Both were on 0.18 line to 16 B911 hooks.

The next hour or so saw me net half a dozen carp on the shallow rig, I lost a couple too and went and set the boy up on a shallow rig, showing/telling him what to do, he landed a couple before he packed up. I finished with around 12 or 13 carp and a handful of roach when we packed up around 3:30.

Tipping back.....

Ciaran's Catch.


One thing I have decided on doing is to fit a pulla bung on 1 or 2 top kits, as it seemed like ages in me getting a couple fish in, now this doesn't usually bother me, but, I guess, as I have a few carpy type matches coming up, my Middy 14/16 laccy seemed rather 'stretchy' at times. Now I wont go heavier and defo am going to stick with solids as these have stood me well over the years. But the art of getting fish in quicker, without being too soft or heavy handed, seems more efficient.
Now anyone who knows me, knows I hate hollow elastics and pullas (I have 2 set up on 6-8 elastic, but don't like it), but I am going to give them another go, more to see if it helps with landing the fish quicker. I have never had this problem in the past, maybe I am playing them softer than I used to, or maybe people are getting the fish in quicker, but it has rattled a nerve with me. But then, whether they'll still be more of a back-up than an always use situation. Only time will tell.

No match for me next week as yet, so maybe a chance to try these pullas again.

Take Care

Lee









No comments:

Post a Comment